Hurricane season began June 1 through Nov. 30

Hurricane season began June 1 through Nov. 30

Miami Beach, Miami-Dade 0 Comment 41

Hurricane season

The 2016 hurricane season officially began this week and runs through November 30.

Hurricane NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 70 percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 4 to 8 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricane (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). While a near-normal season is most likely (45 percent), there is also a 30 percent chance of an above-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season. This year, hurricane season outlook predictions are more challenging than most because of forecast uncertainty in the climate signals that influence the formation of Atlantic storms.

https://youtu.be/75QYWq2L9IQ

Remember, all it takes is one.

The City of Miami Beach wants to ensure the safety of all of its residents and visitors, and urges everyone to have a hurricane plan. The city is prepared – are you?

 

Watch a brief message from Miami Beach City Manager Jimmy Morales and Emergency Operations Center Director Charles Tear.

The City of Miami Beach wants to ensure the safety of all its residents and visitors and urges everyone to have a plan in case of a hurricane or other emergency. We are prepared and we want to make sure that you are too.

Miami Beach is located in an evacuation zone. Our hurricane information guide includes specific preparations and information for the Miami Beach community.

Hurricane season is from June 1 through November 30.
Although hurricanes have occurred outside of these six months, these dates were selected to encompass over 97% of tropical activity. The Atlantic basin shows a very peaked season from August through October, with 78% of the tropical storm days, 87% of the minor (categories 1 and 2)  hurricane days, and 96% of the major (categories 3, 4, and 5) hurricane days occurring. Once in a few years, there may be a hurricane occurring “out of season” primarily May or December.

Read More:  http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/DEM/scroll.aspx?id=46788

Author

Leave a comment

© City Debate Publishing Company, Inc. 2000 – 2017

Back to Top