Every Eighth Home in Miami Beach Will Be Underwater
Scientists currently estimate that sea levels could rise more than six feet by the year 2100. If that comes true, American homes worth nearly $900 billion could be underwater. Not just in the financial sense.
A new report from Zillow estimates that with a six-foot sea level rise, “almost 1.9 million homes (or roughly 2 percent of all U.S. homes) – worth a combined $882 billion – are at risk of being underwater by 2100.” That is the current value of those homes—by the end of the century, the number will be much higher.
And that risk is not evenly distributed. The state of Florida is by far the most at-risk, with a full 1/8th of the state’s homes potentially ending up as scuba sites. In this estimate, Florida alone accounts for more than $400 billion in home value at risk. Furthermore, the city of Miami Beach has more home value at risk than any other city in America.
Either stop denying climate change or stop building, buying, and insuring beachfront homes, but not both!
The Annual King Tides Are Here! Miami Beach Files Court Brief Urging Court to Reject Casino at City’s Front Door Miami Beach Officials Can’t Deny Science Miami Herald Puts King Philip in His Place on Bay Pollution Prominent developer wants Miami Beach transit station at base of residential tower Mass Transit is Fast-Tracked on Miami Beach Delano South Beach experienced a RevPAR decrease of 12.2% Miami Beach tells restaurant sax player to can it. Owner says: ‘Free speech!’ Commissioner Ricky Arriola’s Ten Point Plan For Ocean Drive (Video) Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority named North America’s Leading Tourist Board by the World Travel Awards City of Miami Beach Passes Resolution to Oppose Solar Amendment Do Uber Drivers Discriminate? Uber has been spying on users and lying about Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine says he’ll make decision about 2018 gov’s race before start of summer Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine attacks Forget South Beach, Miami’s coolest ‘hood Unanimous Approval for Mayor Levine’s Minimum Living Wage Ordinance MIAMI BEACH MAYOR LEVINE’S REDUNDANT SEWER Mayor Levine Can’t Buy Miami Herald Off Commissioner Kristen Rosen Gonzalez “No Ocean Terrace Height Increases” Design-build firm M.C. Dean, Inc., has filed law suit against the City of Miami Beach Hurricane season began June 1 through Nov. 30 NEW YORK BAGEL DELI Shutdown for “Live rodent” Uber Model Screws Drivers and Passengers Mitchell Kaplan Receives 2016 ArtesMiami Lydia Cabrera Award Marijuana Users Have Lower Body Mass Index than Non-Users Says University of Miami Study Signs Your Rash Is A Zika Rash & Needs To Be Seen By A Doctor LT Steak & Seafood Open at The Betsy-South Beach The Shameful Miami Dade County Ethics Commission Plastic-bag tax? NY lawmakers push back Saving Flamingo Park, Minimum Wage, Water Pollution JW Marriott to manage South Beach Hotel Modern Boutique Hotel Approved for North Beach Short-term rental Miami Beach create in North Beach North Bay Village Commissioners and Vice Mayor Endorse Michael Góngora for State Senator District 38 Menin Hospitality to manage Mondrian South Beach Atlantic Broadband Invest $6 Million in Miami Beach Miami Beach, Biggest “Loser” in Luxury -13.7% Miami Beach Fire Department Sets the Gold Standard Unveiling of New Miami Beach Flag Drop Station
Working with Millennials can be a challenge
Subscribe to City Debate news update
- First daughter Sasha Obama has fun in the sun in Miami Beach
- Miami Beach tells restaurant sax player to can it. Owner says: ‘Free speech!’
- Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine says he’ll make decision about 2018 gov’s race before start of summer
- Elephants on the causeway? How the circus changed through the years
- 5 Things to Know About the Future of Google’s Self-Driving Car
- Italy to seek to track down and deport migrants with no right to stay
- ‘Kids born today will never drive,’ says Robot Valley champion
- 10-year-old girl used as human bomb in Nigeria New Year’s Eve attack
- MIA Ranked Fifth-best Airport In North America By J.D. Power Study
- Uber has been spying on users and lying about
- North Beach Proposed Historic Districts are Under Attack. We need your help!
- Miami Beach Begins Free Trolley Service in Mid-Beach
- Commissioner Joy Malakoff to be Inducted to the Miami Beach Senior High School Hall of Fame
- UM College of Engineering Partners with the City of Miami Beach
- MIA WINS NATIONAL AWARDS FOR MARKETING, COMMUNICATIONS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Miami Beach Fire Prevention Division
- Do Uber Drivers Discriminate?
- Traffic Impact Alert Pine Tree Drive
- Miami Beach Light Rail – “Keep The Link In Bay Link
- Jose Feliciano Honored by Miami Children’s Health Foundation
- Live Music and Burlesque Dinner Show set to open on Lincoln Road
- Michael Gongora Voting Information
- City of Miami Beach Passes Resolution to Oppose Solar Amendment
- Miami Beach Ordinance Take First Step Toward Limiting Surveillance State
- Miami Beach’s First-Ever Dune Management Plan Approved by the State
- Paramount Miami Worldcenter’s Foundation Builds Urban Core & Jobs
- Mayor Levine Gave Out His Twitter Block List in 2015 but Now Refuses to Do So
- Miami Beach to Launch Voluntary Smoke-Free Zone Program
- Miami Beach approves North Beach master plan
- Miami Beach Passes Paid Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Unveiling of New LEED Gold Certified City Facility
- Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority named North America’s Leading Tourist Board by the World Travel Awards
- Art Basel Miami Beach Sales Threatened by Zika
- Hillary Clinton’s Big Sugar connections in the Sunshine State
- Half of Americans in face-recognition databases: report
- Commissioner John Aleman One Sick Puppy
- Venetian Causeway’s east drawbridge to close Nov. 14 for repairs
- Prominent Miami real estate attorney Steven Cantor found dead at 66
- Miami Beach Police Department to Provide Increased Transparency
- Miami Beach Ongoing Mosquito Control
- Commissioner Ricky Arriola’s Ten Point Plan For Ocean Drive (Video)
- The Annual King Tides Are Here!
- Tuesday Morning Breakfast Club Commissioner Kristen Rosen Gonzalez
- Mitchell Kaplan Receives 2016 ArtesMiami Lydia Cabrera Award
- Marijuana Users Have Lower Body Mass Index than Non-Users Says University of Miami Study