As is often the case, the challenge to finding consensus is in the details. And there are many details at issue:
- The height of the building;
- The size of the floorplate of each floor;
- The building’s orientation;
- Whether we allow the Developer to move some or all of his FAR from 6th and 7th street to 5th;
- The size of the park;
- How close the park is to street level grade;
- Parking for the Floridian residents across the street
I have convened a series of meetings with the Developer and various residents – as might be expected, different iterations of option #2 have emerged. A group of interested residents have created their own iteration of option #2. I am sure other versions will emerge. No decisions have been made, but I am committed to moving this towards consensus.
At the next City Commission meeting (on Wednesday morning) we will briefly discuss this item without public debate and likely refer it to our Land Use Committee where it is my hope that it will receive plenty of attention and community input. I urge you to engage our Commission and City Staff so we, as a community, can make an informed and thoughtful decision.